Thursday 5 July 2012

Just (?) desserts

Having devoted at least as many words to food and drink as to art, it seems possibly fair that the former has now laid me low.  On a visit to one of my personal favourites, the delightful and gentle Pierce Casey - he of the mystical landscapes evoking all the colours and memories of our travels through life - my digestive system decided to have it's revenge. Being taken seriously ill on the motorway is not funny.

However, the combination of Pierce and the London Ambulance Service saw me safely if painfully to hospital. Having avoided their clutches for 52 years (!) I was genuinely impressed by everything that happened to me and that I saw in Whipps Cross. The NHS and their staff are very good in my view.

Even at the very heart of this vast hospital, Burnham managed to weave its own magic, with an un-announced and unsolicited visit from two friends of Dr Diana Black's who took the trouble to seek me out.  Difficult to resist a quiet smile subsequently, when the ward staff - obviously concerned - tried to find out why these two great men had visited.

Opening has been disrupted - but not too much thanks to the stirling efforts of George, Theresa, Beth and of course Ali!  Hopefully a fuller service will resume shortly - and you might even see me again!

No comments:

Post a Comment