Tuesday 25 May 2010

Out West - Part 2

I love Cornwall - but these days it's so easy to get there, I fear it's lost some of its mystery.  A lesson for Norfolk perhaps; just maybe we'd be better off without the completion of the A11. Anyway the upshot of this is that less than 2 hours driving from Richard Godfrey found me in Penryn, meeting up again with one of my current favourites, PATRICK HAUGHTON.  


Very much part of the St.Ives tradition, I think his work is just fantastic. His studio look out towards Falmouth and the Carrick Roads, but the biggest influence to me in his current work is the time he spends each year in the far west of France. If you want to know more about Patrick's work, you need look no further than the web-site of another of my favourites GEOFFREY ROBINSON, who made a short film http://www.geoffreyrobinson.com/patrickhaughton.html about Patrick's work not long ago.


Over lunch it emerged that we shared a number of mutual friends in and around Falmouth - and somewhat bizarrely Patrick was re-united with a lost and much loved scarf! Very good to see Patrick and Suki again and I look forward to entertaining them in Norfolk; - it seems Patrick has his eye on a visit to the RAILWAY INN - http://www.hostearms.co.uk/Railway - here in Burnham Market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment